When Should I Get Help From a Sex Therapist?

If you have been experiencing a sexual difficulty for a period of time that is not getting better, professional sex therapy may be your best option.  If you think a physical problem may be involved, have your doctor do a physical evaluation first.  Sex therapists are able to work with physicians when medical treatment is needed.  The sooner you act, the sooner you will be able to resolve the problem.

If you are always worrying about your performance prior to sexual activity, you may be caught in a cycle of anxiety that could become a condition called “performance anxiety.”  The more you worry, the stronger the “performance anxiety” cycle becomes.  Sex therapy can interrupt the cycles and restore normal sexual functioning.

If you are concerned about premature ejaculation and have read books, tried techniques like stop-start or the squeeze technique, but continue to have the problem, a sex therapist can help you explore any psychological issues involved, and provide information on proven methods to remedy the condition.


For information about making an In-Office Consultation Appointment


CALL (310) 374-4173

Day & Evening/Weekend Appointments

E-Mail: [email protected]


Carol Boulware, MFT, Ph.D.
Licensed Marriage, Family Therapist – #MFT11632
ABS Certified Sex Therapist #1466
Board Certified Expert in Traumatic Stress
EMDR Certified Therapist- Level II- 1994
Somatic Experiencing Practitioner
3130 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 550
Los Angeles, California 90401
(310) 374-4173
Email: [email protected]
Additional offices in Santa Monica & Redondo Beach